Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Unwinding the highly strung


As a person who finds it straightforward to veer towards being highly strung, I'm a fan of things that make life less frustrating.

And also things that help me to be organised without having to be organised, if you know what I mean.

Many years ago I used to use unix and Linux and X Window and had a groovy hot rod window manager, but then I moved to MS Windows. It just ain't as good (although it's improving).

So I made a windows utility that helps to get things done.

It uses mouse buttons 4&5 (e.g. the grey extra left and right buttons on the side of an intellimouse, and other mouses also have their own types of 4 & 5 buttons).

When running, the utility affords:

stress free window move (position cursor over window then drag with button 4)
stress free window resizing (position cursor over window then drag with button 5)

F1 key will open a file with notepad dated YYMMDD.txt in C:\
F2 opens yesterday's day file.
F3 opens tomorrow's day file.

(NB I usually use the vim editor but changed to notepad.exe for this post. Email me for the auto hotkey source code if you want to hack on it.)

I've been using this for about 18 months and have found it useful. I write up all kinds of notes and tasks and thoughts into each day's file, and then simply grep through ??????.txt to look stuff up.


No comments:

Post a Comment